Tuna Pitta Melt Recipe
Serves: 1 adult
- 1 round wholemeal pitta bread
- 80g tin tuna in spring water
- 1 teaspoon mayonnaise (or low fat natural yoghurt)
- 1 spring onion
- 1 ripe tomato
- 15g cheddar cheese
- 20g baby spinach leaves
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Toast the pitta bread in the toaster for 1 minute until puffed up. Then leave until cool enough to handle and split one side open using a sharp knife
- Meanwhile open a can of tuna and drain off liquid and discard. Put tuna in a bowl and mix with mayonnaise (or low fat yoghurt). Season lightly with a little pepper to taste
- Slice the spring onion, cut tomato into slices and arrange in the split open pitta then fill with the tuna mixture and the spring onion. Using a grater, grate the cheese and add on top.
- Heat a frying pan over a medium heat and add the filled pitta bread to it. Cook for 1 minute on each side or until the cheese has melted.
- Add a handful of the spinach leaves to the tuna pitta melt and arrange on a plate with the rest of the spinach leaves to serve.